A Closer Look at Theanine
At this time of year, when exam stress is at an all time high, it’s important to have effective strategies at hand to support a healthy stress response before it gets out of control. Theanine has gained much attention in recent years as a natural ingredient that may help to support a healthy stress response both quickly and effectively.
Theanine & Stress – A Summary:
• Theanine is a naturally occurring amino acid found in the tea plant (Camellia sinensis) and is associated with relaxing and concentration-enhancing properties
• Experimental studies have demonstrated cognitive performance enhancing, anti-stress, anti-depressant and neuroprotective activities of theanine.
• Theanine is rapidly absorbed into the blood stream after digestion where it reaches maximal concentration within 30 minutes to 2 hours and can cross the blood brain barrier for transport directly to the brain.
• The mechanism of action of theanine appears to be in part related to its influence on neurotransmitter production and activity. Theanine has been shown to increase release and concentration of dopamine, inhibit glutamate reuptake, block glutamate receptors, increase GABA concentration, decrease noradrenaline and increase serotonin levels. In addition, human clinical studies have demonstrated an effect of theanine on alpha brain wave activity.
• The typical dose used in human clinical studies is 200mg daily.
• The clinical effects of theanine may be rapid (within 40 minutes) and may also produce effects when used daily over longer periods of time (1-2 months)
This website and its content is copyright of Nutri Advanced ©. All rights reserved. See our terms & conditions for more detail.
Most Popular Articles
Depression ProtocolOur nutritional protocol for Depression provides support for symptoms management, addressing underlying causes (where applicable) and wellness & prevention.
Studies Show Benefits of Beta Glucans in Upper Respiratory Tract InfectionsResearch into beta glucans has shown that these yeast cells may be beneficial in preventing the severity and duration of upper respiratory tract infections...
Using Combined Herbal Therapy to Eradicate Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO)Read our technical paper outlining the use of combined herbal therapy to eradicate SIBO.
Omega-3s Found To Aid Cognitive Function in Children
Read how omega 3 fatty acids, particularly DHA, have been found in studies to aid brain function & show improvements in memory, concentration & social skills...
Why Is Curcumin So Difficult to Absorb?Although turmeric has been used medicinally for more than 4000 years it has a very low absorption rate. We look into why this is and what can be done to improve absorption.